The AfricaConnect3 project will feature at the Science Summit at the United Nations General Assembly 77 (UNGA77) with an online session titled “A Panel Discussion on Digital Infrastructures to Enable Science Cooperation in Africa” Wednesday 21 September 2022 from 09:00 am to 11:00 am EDT (GMT-4).
The session’s focus will be enabling Science Cooperation through advanced research and education on digital infrastructures, usually operated by NRENs.
NRENs are among the main stakeholders in Digital Cooperation and Digital Diplomacy as they represent a broad and diverse community of researchers, scientists, academics and students. Furthermore, NRENs are now heavily involved in “Science” including “Science Cooperation”, “Science Diplomacy”, “Open Science”, and “Science Communities of Practice”. In addition to Open Access and Community-Based Services.
The discussion panel consists of the following personalities:
1- Madara Ogot, CEO of UbuntuNet Alliance, “What are research and Education Networks with insights on Africa”
2- Boubakar Bary, CEO of WACREN, “Services and activities conducted by NRENs to enable collaboration”
3- Yousef Torman, Managing Director of ASREN, “NRENs role and engagement in Science Cooperation and Diplomacy”
4- Fabio Di Stefano, Team Leader Economic Integration, Trade, Digital, STI, European Union Delegation, Belgium
5- Phoebe Oduor, PoC AfriGEO Secretariat/ Thematic Lead Land Use Land Cover RCMRD, “How can NRENs support collaboration for the African Group on Earth Observation (AfriGEO)
6- Islam Abou El-Magd, Vice – President, the National Authority for Remote Sensing and Space Sciences, Egypt
7- Nicky Wako (Moderator), Advocacy and Donor Engagement Manager, GEANT, the European Research and Education Network, “AfricaConenct3 project: a key enabler”
The discussion will tackle the following questions/topics:
- The status of NRENs in Africa and what are the main challenges facing the developments of these NRENs.
- NREN services and activities and what role they can play?
- What is LIBSENSE project about and how it supports science cooperation
- What makes AfricaConenct3 a key Science Cooperation “Enabler”?
- NRENs role in achieving the United Nations’ SDGs
- Main challenges regarding AfriGEO community collaboration across continents
- NRENs and “Open Science”
- NRENs and “Science Engagement”
- What NREN need to do the expected role?
- Challenges facing NRENs
- Examples of Science Collaboration within and beyond Africa
- What is your call to the UNGA77?
More information about the Science Summit at Science Summit at United Nations General Assembly 77 (UNGA77).