As the Research and Education Network for Uganda (RENU) celebrated the second birthday of Metro eduroam last week, another baby was in the offing: eduroam on the Go, a pocket-size routing device specially made to enable researchers and university staff connect to eduroam and the Internet Anytime, Anywhere. This means that for the first time, eduroam users do not have to access the free WiFi from only a few fixed locations.
What are the benefits of using eduroam on the Go?
- Fulltime access to eduroam and the Internet: eduroam on the Go gives you access to eduroam and the Internet Anytime, Anywhere. This means you are connected 24/7. Researchers, for example, are able to exchange data while in the field or work away from office.
- Free, Secure, Trusted: eduroam on the Go bears all the characteristics of eduroam, i.e., it is FREE, SECURE, and TRUSTED. It is secure and trusted because it works with the authentication infrastructure and databases of a user’s home institution.
- Secure remote access to institutional resources: From e-books to office databases, eduroam on the Go gives researchers and university staff secure remote access to their institutional resources Anytime, Anywhere.
- Unlimited access: With eduroam on the Go, you no longer need to worry about your data bundles running out – it is unlimited!
- Portability: The device is portable and user-friendly. It can fit in your pocket or bag.
- Mobility: You can move with eduroam on the Go wherever you go. Think of it as your “mobile eduroam hotspot”. In other words, you can access secure and trusted connectivity Anytime, Anywhere.
Read the full story on RENU’s website.